Saturday, March 12, 2011

More Apples

I've been eating a ton of apples lately, so maybe that's why I have apples on the brain and have therefore been using them a lot in my cooking. I swear that not all of my creations have apples in them.

This particular side dish I've been making for a while. The inspiration came from my best friend Maria, who one day told me she made something very similar. I can't remember her original version, but but I know it was the inspiration to this one. It's a great side dish for pork, chicken or even on it's own, adding some beans (probably garbanzo beans would be best because of their texture). And the best part is it's so easy!

Cabbage with Apples and Onions

3 cups cabbage, shredded
1 1/2 cups onions, sliced
2 large or 3 small apples, thinly sliced
3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
salt to taste

1. Place large frying pan on medium heat. Add oil.

2. Shred lettuce (cut thinly with knife until you get ribbon-like strands of cabbage. Slice onions. When oil is hot, add cabbage and onions to the pan. Add salt to draw out moisture from vegetables. Stir vegetables occasionally.

cabbage and onions
3. Slice apples, keeping skins on. Add to pan and stir. Cover for approximately 5 minutes. Add vinegar and coat vegetables and apples throughout. Cover and let cook 1-2 minutes until apples are tender but not falling apart and the vinegar creates a bit of a syrup.


Adding apples

Voila! It's done!
Serves 4. Enjoy!

Notes: If you don't want to shred the lettuce by hand, the bagged cole slaw mix works just as well. The carrots in the mix just adds a little more sweetness to the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment